Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Leadership Summit 2009
So last year I was honored to be invited to my first summit by our Childrens ministry. Of course I attended and as I told most it was amazing and life altering. So I was really looking forward to it again this year. I wanted to share some of what it was all about. Basically it's a Christian confrence for church leaders all around the world, broadcast via satelite in 54 countries, 28 languages and growing each year. The Willow creek association puts it together and organizes guest speakers some amazing world leaders and christian entreprenuers and even Bono...it's huge! It's such an amazing experience to learn and grow in your faith and business even. Given the tough year we've all had with economic downfall it was such a hopeful breath of fresh air. Such an opportunity for leaders to use innovative creative ways to grow our faith. As Bill Hybels (founder of Willow) said,we are all living in a new reality, normal has left the building. He spoke about our "New Reality" and how you need to fill your life & peace bucket because the new stress most of us are experiencing we need to have "Adequate Replenish strategies", recognizing the "depleaters" (ones who take out of your peace bucket) and Fillers (people or things that fill your bucket back up). This was a great visual for me and so true that you need to come to the table with a full bucket that is the best gift you can give others. Another speaker I had some great take-aways from was Tim Keller, sr pastor and author, he made a great comparrison of Relegion vs. gospel and spoke of the parable of the prodigal son from the book of Luke. How many of us think of God or religion as a "means to an end" I'll be good so I can go to heaven" rather than to live the gospel way. I do good to be closer to my savior the one who gave all for me, to receive more of God. He also made a point on having anger and holding grudges means you feel superior to that person. wow, never thought of it like that before. Anyhow, Jessica Jakely, founder of KIVA.org she was the defintion of a "doer" KIVA connects everyday people in lending to illeviate poverty. Basically allowing everyday "joes" to give small business loans to the poor. Banks will not loan to these people because they have NO collateral or credit. the success and life change it is doing all over the world brought tears to my eyes. She was such an amazing woman and about my age too. Really was inspiring for someone to have this idea and passion to help others succeed. I am totally going to take part in this, what a great thing for us to teach our kids too. All of the speakers were incredible and i don't want to leave anything out. I will just have to say it's a time where you feel and see the capabilities of people "WE" all have the ability we just need to take action. How ever little or big what are you doing to make a difference. What is your irreducible core (As Tony Blair) said. What will you stay true too and not compromise with. Bono called the "church" out on the greatest humanitarian health crisis a couple years ago and followed up with how much improvements he has witnesses in Africa. But, there is still so much to do, and it is so possible cause having Big problems with small solutions shrinks the problem and increases the change. We are all about "CHANGE" aren't we. So I was completly challenged to live differntly. Surround myself with people who are not like me, thats where i can learn and grow from. Failure is a neccisity and a recipe for success. So the more you go out there and fail, the closer you are to greater success. obciously i can be long winded when talking about this 2 day confrence and there is still so much, if you want to attend with me next year or even want to hear more, I'll post the links when they are available.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment